Ryan Villopoto dominated the inaugural race at MetLife Stadium Saturday night to wrap up his fourth consecutive Monster Energy Supercross title.
Despite a slow start to the season which saw Villopoto only win three races, the Monster Energy Kawasaki rider has since led 60 of 60 laps en route to three straight wins.
“It feels great to wrap up my fourth championship in front of this crowd at MetLife Stadium,” said Villopoto. “Our goal coming into every season is to win the title and it is amazing accomplishing that goal year in and year out. We stayed consistent all year long and our hard work has paid off.”
Villopoto, who now has 40 career 450SX Class victories, became just the second rider in series history to win four titles in a row.
“To match the ‘King of Supercross’ [Jeremy McGrath] and win four-straight championships is something I never imagined I would achieve.”
Villopoto’s recent string of wire-to-wire triumphs helped propel him to 61-point lead over Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey with only the Las Vegas finale remaining.
Yoshimura Suzuki’s James Stewart, who entered the event in second place, withdrew from the race with what looked like an apparent injury to his left leg. He dropped to third in the standings, 72 points back.
450SX Class Results: East Rutherford
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
2. Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda
3. Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Suzuki
4. Justin Barcia, Pinetta, Fla., Honda
5. Ken Roczen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
6. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
7. Mike Alessi, Hilliard, Fla., Suzuki
8. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM
9. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
10. Weston Peick, Wildomar, Calif., Suzuki
450SX Class Season Standings
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 343
2. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM, 282
3. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki, 271
4. Ken Roczen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM, 265
5. Justin Barcia, Pinetta, Fla., Honda, 232
6. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM, 207
7. Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C., Yamaha, 196
8. Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Suzuki, 144
9. Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Suzuki, 126
10. Wil Hahn, Menifee, Calif., Honda, 122