Following three sessions of practice this afternoon and early evening in Oakland, the final times are set for gate picks this evening. The whoops inside O.co Coliseum seem to be garnering the most attention, as they are both deep and big. Many riders have already stated the whoops could very well be where the race is won and lost. There’s also a tricky rhythm section that has claimed a few riders today, including Cooper Webb who received medical attention but should be ok to race this evening. Despite the difficult track, many riders have also commented that Oakland has the best dirt of the season thus far.
Dean Wilson emerged as the quickest 250SX Class rider, taking the top spot from Jason Anderson on the final lap with a 54.613. Only he and Anderson were able to break into the 54-second bracket. Third place, Justin Hill, is over a second behind in the 56-second bracket. Webb and Cole Seely rounded out the top five.
In the 450SX Class, Ryan Villopoto sat atop the charts for the bulk of the final session. James Stewart posted a quick lap in the late stages of practice to land second, while Justin Brayton continued his impressive run in third. Only Villopoto and Stewart broke into the 54-second range, with Brayton not too far behind. Ken Roczen and Ryan Dungey rounded out the top five.
1. Ryan Villopoto – Monster Energy Kawasaki: 54.830
2. James Stewart – Yoshimura Suzuki: 54.957
3. Justin Brayton – Toyota/Yamaha/N-Fab/JGRMX: 55.155
4. Ken Roczen – Red Bull KTM: 55.174
5. Ryan Dungey – Red Bull KTM: 55.301
6. Justin Barcia – Team Honda Muscle Milk: 55.337
7. Chad Reed – Discount Tire Racing/TwoTwo Motorsports: 55.486
8. Jake Weimer – Monster Energy Kawasaki: 56.041
9. Wil Hahn – GEICO Honda: 56.177
10. Andrew Short – BTO Sports KTM: 56.558
1. Dean Wilson – Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki: 54.613
2. Jason Anderson – Rockstar Energy Racing: 54.770
3. Justin Hill – Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki: 56.097
4. Cooper Webb – MyPlash/Metal Mulisha/Star Racing Yamaha: 56.508
5. Cole Seely – Troy Lee Designs/Lucas Oil Honda: 56.624
6. Zach Osborne – GEICO Honda: 56.671
7. Malcolm Stewart – Troy Lee Designs/MAVTV Honda: 56.899
8. Michael Leib – AG Motorsports Honda: 57.651
9. Jake Canada – 51Fifty Honda: 57.795
10. Jessy Nelson – Troy Lee Designs/Lucas Oil Honda: 58.043