Justin Bogle overcame treacherous conditions Saturday night at MetLife Stadium to earn his second victory of the season, while his Eastern Regional 250SX Class title rivals were forced to watch from the sidelines.
As rain intensified throughout the 15-lap race, Bogle stayed on top of the ever-changing track conditions to beat Jeremy Martin and Vince Friese in front of 62,217 fans. The win gives Bogle a 17-point lead heading into next weekend’s series finale in Las Vegas, Nev.
“I’m really excited to take home the victory tonight,” said Bogle. “As we were approaching the starting gate the rain picked up, so it got super slick out there as the race went on. I got off to an incredible start, but there were some tough battles out there, and I had to be more cautious because of the rain, so I feel I handled the race well and gave it my best.”
Bogle entered the night trailing Martin Davalos by eight points, but news surfaced earlier this week that Davalos would miss the New Jersey race after suffering a broken ankle during testing. He underwent surgery on Tuesday and will likely sit out the Vegas finale.
“I’m so happy to be in this position. We’ve got one more race next weekend in Vegas and I want to do the same thing I did here. One of my team guys reminded me to enjoy myself today and I really kind of took that attitude.”
Davalos’ Pro Circuit Kawasaki teammates Adam Cianciarulo and Blake Baggett are third and fourth in the standings, but also did not start Saturday. Cianciarulo continues to recover from a shoulder injury while Baggett missed the race after taking a rock to the eye during testing. Both riders trail Bogle by 46 points and are now mathematically eliminated from the title race.
If Bogle wraps up the Eastern Regional 250SX Class Championship, he will extend GEICO Honda’s streak of championships to five straight years.
Eastern Regional 250SX Class Results: East Rutherford
1. Justin Bogle, Cushing, Okla., Honda
2. Jeremy Martin, Millville, Minn., Yamaha
3. Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Honda
4. Matt Bisceglia, Weatherford, Texas, Honda
5. Matthew Lemoine, Pilot Point, Texas, Kawasaki
6. Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Honda
7. Alex Martin, Millville, Minn., Yamaha
8. Mitchell Oldenburg, Alvord, Texas, Honda
9. James Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda
10. Jackson Richardson, Australia, Honda
Eastern Regional 250SX Class Season Standings
1. Justin Bogle, Cushing, Okla., Honda, 166
2. Martin Davalos, Cairo, Ga., Kawasaki, 149
3. Adam Cianciarulo, Port Orange, Fla., Kawasaki, 120
4. Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., 120
5. Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Honda, 120
6. Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Honda, 109
7. Matthew Lemoine, Pilot Point, Texas, Kawasaki, 90
8. James Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda, 90
9. Cole Thompson, Brigden, Ontario, KTM, 89
10. Alex Martin, Millville, Minn., Yamaha, 86